Weds 16 September - Psalm 23
1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
- - -
Meditation on Psalm 23
There are a number of shepherds referred to the Scriptures.
Here are some of them:
- The shepherds in Bethlehem
- Church leaders
Shepherds have great responsibilities – for example:
- they find pasture John 10:9
- they find water Genesis 29:3
- they protect the flock 1 Samuel 17:34-35
- they seek for the lost sheep Ezekiel 34:16
- they care for the injured sheep Ezekiel 34:16
- they know their sheep John 10:2-5
The leaders of God’s people are known as shepherds – for example:
Where does their example come from?
God is THE Shepherd.
- He was a shepherd during the exodus
- He cares for His sheep.
Jesus is …
- the GOOD Shepherd John 10:11;14
- the GREAT Shepherd Hebrews 13:20
- the CHIEF Shepherd 1 Peter 5:4
He has compassion for His sheep. Matthew 9:36
He knows His sheep. John 10:14
He searches for the wandering sheep. Luke 15:3-7
He will judge His sheep as a true Shepherd would. Matthew 25:32
He was the fulfilment of OT prophecies. Ezekiel 34:23 and Micah 5:2-4
He IS MY Shepherd – this is the opening line of our Psalm. He shows all the characteristics of the shepherd noted above.
He gives me rest – ‘He makes me lie down in green pastures’
- He gives me time for reflection – ‘He leads me beside quiet waters’
- He brings restoration – ‘He refreshes my soul’
- He leads me in the right paths – ‘He guides me along the right paths’ or ‘the paths of righteousness.’
- He takes away fear, even in the darkest valley – ‘I will fear no evil’
- because of His presence
- because of His authority – ‘your rod…’
- because of His support - ‘your staff…’
- He treats me as His royal guest – ‘He provides a banquet in an unlikely place’
- He recognises me as an honoured guest – ‘He anoints my head with oil’
- He provides for my future through His goodness, His mercy and His forgiveness – ‘surely good ness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life’
- He provides a future that will never end – ‘I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever’
What a great Shepherd and, by faith, HE IS MINE and I AM HIS – forever and forever.
What an encouragement this is for us as we journey towards our heavenly home because, as verse 1 tells us – ‘I lack nothing.’
Thursday 17 September - Psalm 24
Friday 18 September - Psalm 25
Saturday 19 September - Psalm 26
Sunday 20 September - Psalm 27
Monday 21 September - Psalm 28
Tuesday 22 September - Psalm 29